Use data presented in all available annual reports of the Hong Kong Water Supplies Department to describe and explain the association/relationship between rainfall and runoff (as represented by annual yield to local reservoirs). You will need to graph the data. 300 words limit, excluding graph(s).
For Section A Total 85 marks
(B) WATER QUALITY IN HONG KONG
Visit the EPD web-site and find the annual report on river water quality entitled River Water Quality in Hong Kong in 2018. Use the report to answer the following questions:
(1) How many monitoring stations are there? (1 mark)
(2) What was the percentage of monitoring stations complying with the Water Quality Objectives (WQOs) in 2018? How does this compare with 2010, 2000, 1995, 1990, and 1987?
(3) What 5 water quality parameters were used to assess compliance? (1 mark)
(4) What type of pollution does 5-day Biochemical Oxygen Demand assess? (1 mark)
(5) Why has compliance with WQOs been around 90% since 2008? (2 marks)
(6) Since when has the E. coli level in Hong Kongs river waters been measured? (1 mark)
(7) The story for E. coli, a measure of faecal contamination, is less impressive. Where in Hong
Kong do rivers and streams have high E. coli levels and why? What actions would you propose to address this issue?
For Section B Total 15 marks