Using evidence from the article, As More States Legalize Marijuana,
Investors And Marketers Line Up by Uri Berliner for The New York Times,
answer the following question:
Is it a good idea to legalize marijuana?
The choice is up to you so long as you support your position with evidence from the text. This is NOT a forum for your personal opinion – stick to the text (the article.)
Your response should be a FULL ESSAY with an Introduction, 3-4 Body Paragraphs and a Conclusion.
The IN CLASS ESSAY is more about being concise and expressing your thoughts as economically as possible. It may be a little shorter than usual. Just make sure each Body Paragraph has at least ONE piece of evidence from the text.)
Here are some clues to a successful essay.
– Bring us into the world, let us know a little bit about the cause (the legalization of marijuana).
– Mention the title and author of the article.
– End the Introduction by stating your THESIS clearly, That legalizing marijuana is either a good idea or a bad idea.
Three Body Paragraphs:
– Start each one with a clear reason (or Topic Sentence) for why legalizing marijuana is either a good or bad idea.
– Support that reason (or claim) with evidence (or quotations) from the article.
– Explain how the evidence proves the reason.
(Note: look at the Discussion Thread on legalization. It contains lots of ideas for great Body Paragraphs.)
– Re-state your thesis in new words.
– Perhaps ask What if? What if legalizing marijuana was the opposite of what you chose?