* Completely cover all aspects of the questions,
* Show an understanding of the principles and concepts,
* Show an understanding of the theoretical perspectives,
* Show an ability to apply the theoretical perspectives,
* Contain examples that reflect your understanding of the answer you have given, and
* Show some level of creativity, especially in giving examples that are not used in the book.
1. Discuss three factors that cause role strain for parents.
2. In Jean Piaget’s theory of cognitive development, how does the preoperational stage differ from the concrete operational stage? Explain.
3. In Mead’s theory of the social self, what does the games stage involve? Describe briefly.
4. Describe the concept of permissive parenting. Illustrate this with an example.
5. What are the effects of corporal punishment on children?
6. In what ways are low-SES families different from high-SES families?
7. What are some of the reasons why bed sharing is advocated by pediatricians?
8. How does helicopter parenting impact children?
9. List out some of the factors that cause fathers to be absent. Discuss briefly its effect on families.
10. What is cyber bullying?
11. What is a foster home? What are some of the benefits of foster homes?
1. Define the following terms/concepts and give an example of each: ageism; disability; homophobia; institutional discrimination; matrix of domination; visitability.
2. How are older people stereotyped, and how does this affect their quality of life?
3. Provide a comparison of older adults with other subordinate or minority social groups.
4. Describe the economic status of the elderly in the United States.
5. Explain why the elderly can be an asset to an employer.
6. How has AARP been valuable in addressing problems of the elderly?
7. What are some common and different challenges facing people with disabilities?
8. How are people with disabilities victims of institutional discrimination? Give some examples.
9. What is the significance of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990? And how has it impacted people with disabilities?
10. Describe the successes and limitations experienced by gays and lesbians seeking to achieve equality? Give examples of prejudice against homosexuals.
11. How can the sociological concept of master status be applied to the elderly, homosexuals, and those with disabilities?
12. What are some examples (both positive and negative) of how homosexuals, older adults, and people with disabilities are portrayed by the media? Draw from your own experiences.
13. How might technological advances, including innovations for the home and computer chat rooms, have a unique effect on each of the groups trying to overcome exclusion discussed in this chapter?