Identity Crisis in Popular Media
Objective: To apply identity theories to current media.
Type/Length of activity: Movie analysis and 35 page paper
Select a Movie: Choose a movie in which one or more of the main characters is an adolescent who is facing some of the issues discussed in our textbook. Choose the movie based on how well a character in it will allow you to answer the questions presented below. Watch the movie and take notes in terms of the areas below that are to be analyzed.
Analyze the Movie and Write a Report: Choose a character from the movie and analyze this character in terms of the following questions:
1. What is the main plot of the movie and who are the main characters? Describe briefly the plot from beginning to end as it pertains to the character you have chosen to write about.
2. How does this character reflect Erikson’s view of the identity crisis faced by adolescents? Does this character appear to be having an identity crisis? How does the character handle this crisis? Does the character appear to resolve the crisis during the movie? Does he or she develop the virtue of fidelity in the movie?
3. In which of Marcia’s identity status is the main character? Compare what Marcia has to say about that identity status to your character. Did the status of the character change during the course of the movie? Were there instances in which the character faced issues related to crisis or commitment?
4. What choices regarding sexual behavior did the character have to make, and how did the character handle these choices? What consequences occurred as a result of these choices?
5. Describe the character’s relationships with parents and siblings. Was there conflict or rebellion? How were these issues resolved?
6. What role did friendships and romantic relationships play in the character’s decisions? Did the character make good choices in these relationships, and how did the people with whom he or she formed these relationships influence the character?
Specifics: Your paper should:
be 3-5 pages long
be typed, double spaced, and have one-inch margins
have a cover sheet that includes your name, the title of your paper, course number
reference all your sources using APA format