In your health care career, you will be confronted with many problems that demand a solution. By using research skills, you can learn what others are doing and saying about similar problems. Then you can analyze the problem and the people and systems it affects. You can examine potential solutions and their ramifications. This assessment allows you to practice this approach with a real-world problem.
1. Describe the health care problem or issue you selected for use in Assessment 2 (Medication Errors) and provide details about it.
–Explore your chosen topic. For this, you should use the first four steps of the Socratic Problem-Solving Approach to aid your critical thinking. This approach was introduced in Assessment 2.
–Identify possible causes for the problem or issue.
2. Use scholarly information to describe and explain the health care problem or issue and identify possible causes for it.
–Identify at least three scholarly or academic peer-reviewed journal articles about the topic.
–You may use articles you found while working on Assessment 2
2. Review the Think Critically About Source Quality page to help you complete the following:
–Assess the credibility of the information sources.
–Assess the relevance of the information sources.
3. Analyze the health care problem or issue.
–Describe the setting or context for the problems or issues.
–Describe why the problem or issue is important to you.
–Identify groups of people affected by the problem or issue.
–Provide examples that support your analysis of the problem or issue.
4. Discuss potential solutions for the health care problem or issue.
–Describe what would be required to implement a solution.
–Describe potential consequences of ignoring the problem or issue.
–Provide the pros and cons for one of the solutions you are proposing.
5. Analyze the ethical implications if the potential solution (the one for which you provide pros and cons) were to be implemented.
–Provide examples from the literature to support the points you are making.
–Discuss the pros and cons of implementing the proposed solution from an ethical principle point of view.
–Describe what would be required to implement the proposed solution.